This video course taught by Sam O’Sullivan, Clinical Psychologist, brings together the scientifically proven methods of mindfulness and cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) to equip you with tools to improve your wellbeing in day to day life. Lectures are designed to make the unnecessarily complicated ideas behind these methods easy to understand, so you quickly experience benefit in applying them.
This course is about learning how to apply the methods in action, such as during a conversation or rock climbing, which differs to more traditional meditation approaches that generally involve sitting practices. The mindfulness aspect guides you to develop the necessary skills to focus on tasks at hand with a calm state of mind, while the CBT aspect teaches you to effectively use your mind when you choose to do so.
You will go on a journey with Sam through your awareness as you explore the wild outdoors of New Zealand in beautifully shot instructional videos, from Waiheke Island to Fox Glacier.
Contents and overview
- Introduction to Sam and an overview of the course.
- The main ideas behind mindfulness and cognitive behaviour therapy.
- Learn the skill of maintaining your attention on one aspect of your experience at a time:
- Sensing your surrounding world.
- The different physical sensations in your body
- Thoughts in your mind
- Applying a feeling of calm when you are focusing your attention.
- Applying the method of calmly focusing your attention on the different points of focus while going about activities and situations.
- The focus toolkit is for someone looking for a practical course, which can immediately improve their wellbeing.
- The course is designed for those who are interested in mindfulness and want a technique that they can apply in their day to day lives.
- The course is ideal for beginners or for those wanting to help others by teaching basic mindfulness and CBT skills.
- Students should have an interest in self-development and personal growth.
- The course is ideal for new managers/leaders who are struggling to communicate effectively with people in their organisations.
- The course is useful to therapists who want a practical course for their clients.
- The focus toolkit is not designed to be therapeutic for significant health problems so if you have any concerns in this regard the it is recommended that you speak to a suitably qualified health practitioner.